Thursday, August 18, 2011

Rough and tumble

My son likes to play a little game called "Monster". He dresses me (or my husband) in whatever weird headdress he can find -- last night it was his old Bumbo sitter, worn upside down on our heads so that we looked like Ferengi from Star Trek, or so my husband tells me -- and has us chase and tickle him. It's an odd game, but I assume all families have one.

As my son and I were playing, I would bend down to tickle him, or he would crawl on my back, or he would throw himself at me... and for the first time I had to tell him to be careful around mommy's belly. He didn't understand, of course, and we haven't told him of his future sibling yet. But it started me thinking about two things. First, there's going to come a time when I will have a much harder time playing physically with my son, cuddling with him, or even just holding him on my lap for bedtime stories. And that makes me sad. Second, he's a very strong, very fast little person. His balance and agility are incredible, too, but I'm mostly worried about his strength and his growing weight. I worry that he could hurt my belly, even just by accident. I wonder if other moms ever think about this while pregnant.

No comments:

Post a Comment