Wednesday, August 24, 2011

The tough parts of parenting

Parenting has a number of challenges. It's tiring, and expensive. I wish I had more free time. I worry a lot. Getting out the door to go to work is like climbing Everest. (People plan for months or years, but some still don't make it.)

Those are all NOTHING compared to the stress and anxiety of caring for a sick child.

We ended up at an urgent care clinic last night because my son seemed to have, at least in our limited experience, a serious health concern. It turned out to be a relatively minor issue, but for a few hours visions of neurologic and ophthalmologic disorders danced in our heads. No matter what the illness or injury, a parent can feel helpless. Helplessness in the face of your little one's suffering is hell on earth.

Yet, ironically, those are also the moments when I feel most secure in my parenting. Most connected to my husband and our son.

No comments:

Post a Comment